Wednesday, January 23, 2008

K to the IWI

I have learned a lot of borderline useful pieces of info this last week... Like onions don't freeze well (shout out Jen) or the name of Paul Bunyan's BFF ox, thanks to our one-night friend, Dave (hint: it's not Big Blue, see poll). A "fun" discovery is that Davis can climb the outside of our stairs and we might have to get a special helmet for him after all. I found out that there's more to the bitter cold of Missouri that eats at your face - we have some decent sunrises, for all you vacationers out there. But most heartbreaking, and my personal least favorite tidbit, I'm definitely allergic to kiwi.
The Story of Kiwi

I love kiwi. You could say it's pretty much my favorite food besides artichokes. I would sometimes eat them with the skin on - I couldn't always wait to peel it. I even tried some kiwi juice while on vacation in Cancun with my family - though I like all things kiwi, let's just say that wasn't its best chemical state. And honeydew melon juice isn't as good as it sounds either. Anyway, last summer I downed a kiwi and noticed a weird film form in the back of my throat. No biggie, just coincidence. Later that week, when I had a fruit salad laced with delicious kiwi I noticed swallowing wasn't coming so naturally. Months went by and I avoided kiwi in the grocery store, at friends' houses, in the juice aisle, but never really admitting to myself that I had a problem. Then, in December, the shower came. A breakfast baby shower. Let's just say it took a scary amount of time to feel a hole in my "pie hole." But that didn't stop me. Apparently I was in deeper denial than I thought, 'cause I took one bite of kiwi today and I started having flash backs. I spit it out like it was frozen onion casserole. The withdrawals are depressing, especially since I just saw a clip of Martha Stewart showing an awestruck audience how to magically remove the skin of a kiwi. Stupid kiwi.

7 comments:

Mary said...

Go buy a green apple and let it go rotten until the outside is brown. Repeat to yourself often that it is a kiwi until you actually believe it. Then take a nice juicy bite of your rotten apple kiwi and maybe, just maybe - you will never desire to eat another kiwi ever again.

Good luck!

Unknown said...

oh that is terribly sad! But maybe we can just switch. After the "beach house flu" of 03 I have not been able to eat artichokes. So if you eat those for me, I'll eat kiwi for you. (But we won't have to do it in front of each other cause that's just mean).

CL/Dad said...

Wow, so the toxicologist in me wonders what it could be that is unique to kiwi that is causing this adverse reaction. But you like kiwi, so that is sad. I never was very fond of it myself. Just thought it should be good because it sounds so tropical and exotic. What I really worry about, whether Davis gets a helmet or not, is just how does he get down from the outside of the stairs?

The Wehrmeister's said...

You poor girl! Too bad you can't be allergic to something like... navy bean soup. I really don't like navy bean soup.

The Wehrmeister's said...

Hey, J-Dogg just thought that I would let you know that I tagged you on my blog.

Love,
Favorite

This Is Our Heaven.... said...

Well, Jen already tagged your I guess. But I double tag you! lol. Actually, i'm just lazy and don't want to think of someone else to tag. That sucks that your allergic to kiwi!! I'm sorry!!! =O(

StephanieB said...

Sorry about the Kiwi & I'll have a little chat with Martha about her programming schedule, that was just insensitive. Take time to mourn and then lets make plans to hit Costco's produce dept and find you a new favorite fruit :)! Or at least get a churro...